Analyzing hair tissue for chemical elements is quite different from testing blood, urine or feces, although all have great value in the right situation. Hair mineral analysis can reveal the following: 1. Lifestyle imbalances. The test can reveal that a problem in a person’s lifestyle - such as drug use, a very unhappy relationship, or a work problem – is impacting the person’s health. This is extremely useful, in some cases. In addition, the test often reveals the highly toxic effects of cigarette and marijuana use (cadmium). It also reveals the toxic effects of body care products such as selenium-containing shampoo, aluminum-containing anti-perspirants, and lead-containing hair dyes. It may also reveal the toxic effects of medical drugs such as Flonase (antimony), anti-acids (aluminum), and some diuretics (mercury). It can also sometimes reveal occupational or other exposure to toxins such as excess exposure to iron, copper, or manganese in those who work in these industries.
2. Dietary problems. The test contains a number of indicators to help a practitioner discern that a person’s diet is inadequate or imbalanced. These include indicators for low protein intake (low phosphorus in some cases), excessive carbohydrate intake, some drinking water problems, and problems with vegetarian and vegan diets. In addition, the test can identify several foods that contain toxins such as Rooibos tea (nickel and lead toxicity) or eating fish (high in mercury).
3. The metabolic type. This is an important fact of body chemistry. It is most helpful to understand hundreds of symptoms, and to guide the dietary and supplement recommendations. It also helps to understand many emotional and mental symptoms as well.
4. The energy and vitality level. Energy is a common denominator of health. This means that if one’s energy is low, hundreds of symptoms can occur. Restoring one’s biochemical or adaptive energy is a key to healing. This is one of the most basic of healing principles. A properly interpreted hair mineral analysis is an excellent way to evaluate a person’s adaptive energy level, as well as to figure out how to correct it. 5. Gland and organ activity. Hair mineral testing can provide a number of indicators for the cellular effect of the thyroid and adrenal hormones, and at times the ovarian hormones as well. It can also be used indirectly to assess the activity of the liver, kidneys, stomach, intestines and perhaps other organs as well. 6. Carbohydrate tolerance. The test can quickly screen for hypoglycemia and, at times, diabetes, although a glucose tolerance test (GTT) should be done if one suspects diabetes. Hair testing can, however, usually guide a practitioner to correct Type 2 diabetes and some Type 1 diabetes without the need for most drugs. Mineral imbalances and chronic infections are often involved with these conditions.
7. Toxic metal assessment. No method of testing can detect all the toxic metals in the body because most of them are hidden deep in the body organs and glands. When interpreted properly, however, a hair mineral analysis is often helpful to assess the general level of toxic metals in the body. Some patterns, such as the Poor Eliminator Pattern, provide indicators of the presence of hidden toxic metals, a most important concept.
8. Reducing guesswork in recommending diets, nutritional supplementation and detoxification methods. This is very necessary because natural methods can easily be applied incorrectly or a haphazard manner that can make matters much worse.
9. Trends or tendencies for over 60 common health conditions. This is an amazing benefit. Research indicates that many health conditions are related to tissue mineral imbalances. The test may reveal them months or years before they manifest in the body. This makes possible a powerful preventive medical science. This is much less costly and more effective than waiting until a disease such as cancer or heart disease occurs. This aspect of hair mineral testing alone would save billions of dollars if it were used widely. For example, one can inexpensively and accurately screen for tendencies for diabetes, heart disease, chronic fatigue, cancer, yeast infections, and many other health conditions.
10. Monitoring Progress. Hair mineral analysis is often helpful to monitor a person’s progress on a healing program of any kind. Symptomatic changes alone are often not a good way to know if a person is progressing on a healing program. However, the hair test will often detect subtle changes in body chemistry, another wonderful benefit of this test.
11. Stress patterns. A properly performed hair mineral analysis is superb to assess the stage of stress, as well as 30 or more stress response patterns of the human body. This type of analysis and interpretation is based on the stress theory of disease, a modern understanding of health and disease. It was the work of Dr. Hans Selye, MD some 60 years ago. However, it is still not used much by the medical profession. Understanding the stages of stress can enable the practitioner to reverse many types of pathology that do not respond well to either traditional medical care or holistic care.
12. Autonomic nervous system assessment.A properly performed hair mineral test can assess and guide the correction of the activity of the autonomic nervous system. Problems with this nervous system are very widespread today, and can cause hundreds of symptoms from digestive disturbance and inability to eliminate toxic metals, to sleep disturbances, blood sugar problems and even cancers. Few in the medical, holistic or naturopathic professions know how to address these issues.
13. Psychological/emotional assessment. One the most exciting uses of the hair mineral analysis is the assessment of causes for conditions such as depression, anxiety, panic attacks, attention deficit, brain fog, autism, schizophrenia, dementia, violence, and bipolar disorder. Hair mineral testing often shows why these conditions occur, and how to correct them at a deep level. 14.Trauma. Hair mineral testing can also reveal sociological issues such as some traumas, abuse, and criminality.
15. Animal health. The same test is extremely helpful to identify and guide the correction of health problems in animals, both large and small. The identical principles of interpretation apply to many animal species, just as well as they apply to human beings. This has the potential to save ranchers, farmers and others millions of dollars, and improve the quality of our food. 16. Agriculture. The common soil analysis farmers use is identical to the hair mineral analysis. The principles of nutritional balancing science can be used to help balance the soil and improve crop yield and nutritional quality of our food supply.
17. Other. More is possible with hair mineral testing. One of the most interesting is identifying movement patterns. These have to do with a person’s lifestyle and current activities, in relation to the person’s life path or progress through life. This can be extremely helpful in counseling a person, and to understand illness, both physical and emotional. Deep insights into biochemistry, physiology, psychology, pathology and possibly more esoteric sciences, such as biological transmutation of the elements, are also possible using the hair mineral test.